Friday, December 6, 2019

Watercolor Painting: Paper Size




One of the most important lessons that I've learnt as a watercolourist is that paper is really important, even if you're a beginner. It actually defines your style.

Today, I'm talking about the size of the paper {we can talk about the quality and variety of the paper some other time, if you want me to do it}.

When I started painting, I realized that I did better on small sized papers. A5 size worked best for me. Then, gradually, I switched to A4 size. Now I'm trying on A3 size paper and surprisingly, I'm feeling comfortable working on this size.



This is my first painting on A3 size paper and I was pretty pleased. Now because I painted something wonderful. But because I used the A3 size paper for the first time and didn't ruin it. :)

So, what's your preferred paper size?

Sharing with Paint Party Friday


P.S.: I've published a short story, 'The Weirdest First Date' on Kindle for Pen To Publish 2019 contest. In case you enjoy reading short stories. It's free for kindle unlimited users. Thanks.




24 comments:

  1. beautifully painted your landscape!
    I wish you a Merry Christmas, too!
    Greetings Elke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful colours, lovely paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful watercolour scenes. Happy PPF Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire anyone who can watercolor. I do think smaller paper works best for me but still not good at it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's my favourite medium. You get better with regular practice. I was really bad. All the best. :)

      Delete
  5. love your painted landscapes. I prefer smaller substrates! I think the largest I have worked on is 9" x 12"-and not with watercolors but with acrylics and collage. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I haven't tried acrylics. Your collages look interesting. :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the advice on quality paper, your work is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are lovely.
    I remember when small small papers were most comfortable for me work watercolor ... Now that I'm working with Golden Fluid acrylics on canvas, my painting surfaces are getting larger and larger!!
    Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Yes, small papers work better {because easier to control} when you are a beginner. I hope to work on A2 size soon. :)

      Delete
  8. Your landscapes are lovely. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about paper size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad you found it helpful. :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Tarang :) Your watercolour is beautiful! I started out with a watercolour journal about 7x5 inches. I love that for quick daily paintings. But I do love the 9x12 inch paper too. Any bigger I don't like comfy with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you so much. Yes, it's good to use small papers for quick sketches or to try something new. I switched to bigger paper very slowly. :)

      Delete
  10. Beautiful landscape. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautifully done.. I used to sketch in my childhood too... But then life took over although the colors have never been my forte. i tend to make a mess of things when i use them. But have been meaning to try them...May be someday i'll post something that i have created...i hope you'd keep posting more of your creations...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      You should try again. I never was interested in painting. Started recently {by watching YouTube videos} and now it's kind of addictive. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete