Friday, January 19, 2018

Best Books I Read In 2017





Okay, this is my first post of 2018, and it's about books. When I don't know what to write, I write about books. I have been very slow when it comes to blogging, not that I have been a fast reader lately (I've decided to be a better reader this year), but I have read some good books last year. So here I'm sharing my best reads of 2017.


Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Adichie 

This was my first read by Adichie, and I instantly fell in love with her writing. It was one of the rare occasions when I liked the slow narration (in the first half) because the emotions of Kambili is so beautifully expressed. The narration is beautiful and authentic. I felt connected with the characters.

For me, Purple Hibiscus is a memorable book. Certainly the best of 2017. I have already bought Adichie's another book, Half Of A Yellow Sun.


Someone To Love by Ruchita Misra

This was my second book by the author. I had read 'The Ineligible Bachelors' and liked it but I was pleased to see the growth in the author's writing in this particular book. It's a beautiful portrayal of true love and childhood friendship. I loved the bond Koyal and Atharv share. If you love reading romance, you must pick this book.


Kissing The Demons by Amrita Kumar

This is an 'On Writing' book, obviously non-fiction. Even though I don't like reading fiction, I love reading anything related to 'writing'. This book is a must have for (new/aspiring) writers. I reviewed this book for Writer's Melon. You can read it here --- 'Kissing The Demons --- 6 Reasons Why It Is A Must Have Book For Writers'.


Jugnu by Ruchi Singh

This book falls under my favourite category --- romance! But, it's not a simple 'boy-meets-girl' kind of romance. They of course meet but the presentation is different. It's a pleasant, meaningful love story. I loved the male protagonist Zayd --- flawed yet intense and sensitive --- and his very special connection with Ashima. I liked the writing style --- smart and entertaining. So engaging that I managed to read it on Kindle (I find reading e-books really difficult). So again, if you like reading romance, pick this book!


Dilli Darbar by Satya Vyas

This, as the name suggests, is a Hindi novel. This book is about a (supremely) careless and a flirt Rahul Mishra and his best friend (the narrator and my favourite character), Mohit. It's about love, friendship and finding your motive. It's funny, witty and entertaining!


Empire & Raavan Leela get the special mention here.

Empire by Devi Yesodharan is a very well researched Historical fiction. It's not my favourite genre but I enjoyed reading this. Mainly because of its strong female protagonist, Yavani, a warrior who qualifies to become the throne guard of the King of Chola dynasty.

Ravana-Leela by Radha Vishwanath is a mythological fiction from Ravana's point of view. I liked this book for its different approach and several lesser known anecdotes.

That's all from my side! Now it's your turn. Come on! Tell me about your favourite reads. Or what are you reading currently (I'm reading 'A Man Called Ove')?


Sharing with Chatty Blogs





6 comments:

  1. Purple Hibiscus has been in my TBR for a long time. Great read in 2017! Happy reading this year too.
    Blog URL HTML
    Kohl Eyed Me
    Something's Cooking

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Happy reading to you too. Thanks for visiting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only ones I've read are Purple Hibiscus and Jugnu and I loved both those. Kissing the Demons sounds interesting. I;m not much for non-fiction either but I love books on Writing. have you read Stephen King's?
    My favourite reads this year would be A Man Called Ove, Rosie Project, Simon and the Homosapien Agenda, When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit and Lanka's Princess - those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head. Those are books I can read and re-read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't read Stephen King.

      I'm reading A Man Called Ove. I Jugnu, A Man Called and Rosie Project on your recommendation. I trust your choices when it comes to books. :)

      Delete
  4. I've only read Jugnu on this list, and I loved it. This post has added some really good books to my overflowing TBR pile. Thanks for sharing, Tarang.

    P.S. Love the new look on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do read Purple Hibiscus and Someone To Love. I think you you'd like them.

      Thank you! :)

      Delete