Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Book Review: Tales From the Himalayas by Priyanka Pradhan


(I painted the bookmark :))


Book: Tales From the Himalayas

No. of pages: 157

Author: Priyanka Pradhan

Illustrator: Mohit Suneja

Publisher: Rupa Publications

Genre: Children's Book

Price: ₹ 285 (on Amazon)


I don't write blurbs in my review. But for this book, I would like to write the blurb. So here it is (from the back cover):


'You'll find tales of snow leopards and mountain ghouls, bagpiper girls and itchy herbs, and stories even as old as 500 years! See the beautiful state of Uttarakhand, resplendent in its colourful customs and traditional costumes, taste the sweet-sour wild berries, feel the chilly autumn wind on your skin and smell the musky pine forests, in seventeen stories.'


I wrote the blurb because it's spot on!  The book is everything that has been described in the blurb, and more.

The all seventeen stories are so interesting, thoughtful, intriguing and heartwarming. The stories, so different from each other, convey beautiful and important messages without being preachy. It's about courage, compassion, thoughtfulness, wisdom and friendship. Certain stories, based on true stories, are educative and yet they are entertaining. One of the stories, 'Kafal', is a folk tale. I heard that story as a kid, and it reminded me of my own childhood.

The stories are very well written. The language is neat and simple so that children don't find it complicated, and yet it's crisp so that even adult can enjoy the read. It creates lovely imagery that it actually gives you the glimpse of Uttarakhand. The illustrations are really cute and apt.

Although I liked each and every story, I'd like to mention my most favourite ones: 'The Villian' (insightful), 'The Long-Lost Friends' (very poignant), 'The Spring Song' (very pleasant), 'Haria's Kitchen' (loved the food descriptions), 'Postcard' (again, poignant).

Overall, a wonderful collection that I enjoyed reading thoroughly. A lovely book that you can read with your kid. 


I received the book from the publisher for an honest review.





No comments:

Post a Comment