Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Book Review: The Reason Is You by Nikita Singh




Name Of The Book
The Reason Is You
Author
Publisher
Genre
Romance
Number Of Pages
 229
 Price


I remember I had read Nikita Singh's first book some 7 years ago, and I was really impressed for she was probably the youngest published author. After that, I didn't read any of her books except one which was co-authored by Durjoy Datta. So technically, it's my second book by the author. Impressively, she has written some 13-14 books, but considering this very fact this book, to be very frank, disappointed me.

The Reason Is You is a love triangle. Later, I realized that it's the sequel to one of Nikita's book. However, it seems like a standalone book. 

Siddhant, a doctor, is dating Akriti {Also a doctor}. During their very first date, Akriti gets a terrible news that shatters her life. Siddhant tries to console her. Even visits her home to comfort her and never leaves her side. But, Akriti slips into depression and suddenly gets cranky, rude and unreasonable. 

And one fine day, when Siddhant and Akriti are officially a couple, Maahi enters their life ---Maahi, Siddhant's ex-girlfriend.

So what happens now? Is it going to affect their relationship? How is Akriti {Who is already battling depression} going to handle this? And what about Siddhant's feelings? You'll have to read this book to know the answer.

OK, I have already said that I was disappointed. Let me tell you why:

My biggest problem is storytelling. It's dull and somehow lazy. It seems that Nikita 'had to' write the book and she did. 

As I said it's a love triangle. I liked the Siddhant and Maahi angle, especially their text exchanges {I have this thing for texts or emails. I always like it in a story}. I liked the ease in their relationship even though they were not in a relationship anymore. This actually made me curious about the first part of the story. 

The female leads: I liked Maahi's character but Akriti's character was painfully annoying. I'm not sure if depression means being constantly rude, unreasonable, cranky and judgemental, while you're quite open to meeting friends, going out for lunch/dinner and partying. I am not an expert but I thought it was not a very thoughtful portrayal of depression/mental health.

The ending is satisfying though.

Overall, for me, it was an average read. If you like light reads, if romance is your most preferred genre {unconditionally}, then you can try this book. 


I received this book from Writersmelon {if you are a book lover or writer, you must follow this website} for an honest review.







No comments:

Post a Comment