Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Book Review: Great Textpectations by Ruchi Vadehra




Name Of The Book
Name Of The Author
Ruchi Vadhera
Publisher
Rupa Publications
Genre
(Urban) Romance
No. Of Pages
225
Price


When I heard about this book, the first thing that attracted me was its title. It's quirky and funny. As a reader, I really like if there are 'text exchanges' in a book. And, as the title and blurb suggested, there was supposed to be a lot of text exchanges in this book. So, I found it exciting!

Amaya Kapoor, a thirty-five-year-old, single woman, owns a publishing house and her dream is to open a book store (and MORE). Playing online scrabble is the greatest stress buster for her and here she finds Rohan Kashyap as a scrabble playing partner. Slowly they start chatting and find happiness in each other's company, however they decide to keep their relationship free of emotional baggage or any kind of commitment.

What happens next? What's the destination of their relationship? Would lack of commitment affect their relationship? You will have to read this book to know the answer. 

I would like to divide this book into two parts. 1) Amaya's Life 2) The texts between Rohan and Amaya.

As I mentioned above, I really enjoyed the texts. They were witty (especially Rohan's), sometimes endearing. But, the book is not just about texts Amaya and Rohan share. It also covers Amaya's life, and here this book disappointed me. 

Honestly, I did not want to know what was happening in Amaya's life, especially in the first half because it's too mundane for a fiction. There are so many characters --- Mihir, Tarun, Rupali, Piya, Raina etc. but I didn't find them interesting. And, that's my biggest problem in the book! 

Also, the writing --- even though it's neat, it seems plain and too straight-forward. The narration doesn't evoke any feelings or emotions, however the texts exchanged between Amaya and Rohan certainly do. 

I really liked Rohan but I liked him better in the texts. His real personality doesn't reflect that wit or charm that I found in his texts. The romance in this book is modern & quirky but it's too easy and convenient. Everything goes in a straight line, offering no surprise or twists to the readers. 

The end of the story is satisfying. 

Overall, it an easy and quick read with some interesting elements (Read 'Texts'). If you enjoy romance, if you like urban stories, this book can be a good companion.

I received this book from the publisher for an unbiased review.



No comments:

Post a Comment