Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Book Review: The Lies Among Us by Sarah Beth Durst





Book: The Lies Among Us

Author: Sarah Beth Durst

Publisher: Lake Union Publishing

Source: Netgalley

Genre: Women's Fiction/Drama/Paranormal Fantasy


Short Blurb: After her mother dies, Hannah doesn’t know how to exist without her. Literally. In fact, Hannah’s not even certain that she does exist. No one seems to see or hear her, and she finds herself utterly alone. Grief-stricken and confused, her sense of self slowly slipping away, Hannah sets out to find a new purpose in life—and answers about who (and what) she really is.


Opening lines:


'It’s quiet inside my mother’s casket. Also, dark. And it smells of wood and the thick, cloying gardenia perfume she always used to like. I think they doused her body in it to disguise the odor of the chemicals they used to embalm her. Or maybe they knew she would have liked to wear her favorite scent, even now.'


The beginning is so mysterious and intriguing. So, it started really well, then became a little slow. I was beginning to lose patience but somehow didn't feel like leaving the story unfinished. There is something about the writing. And I'm so glad!



Somewhere out in the world, there must be countless albums that were never made, books that were never written, symphonies never played. Is there a library somewhere filled with stories never imagined? What about a school of facts never learned? A museum of treasures never saved? A theatre of plays never performed?’


One of the most unique books I've ever read. It's eccentric, weird and fantastic! A well written story, told from a very unique, kind of unimaginable perspective. The best thing about writing is that it creates glorious imagery. 


‘She didn’t want to forget memories she had; she wanted to forget memories she didn’t have— the ones she should have made if her life had been different.’


It's about a dysfunctional family, siblings bond that could have been, friendship, purpose and lies. 


I loved Hannah. I loved Sylvie. And their friendship. The idea of the mysterious man in white aka white rabbit, was so intriguing. I found Leah, Hannah's sister a little annoying, sometimes. However, as I neared the ending, her behaviour, her feelings began to make sense. 


The ending is so good, poignant. It conveys an important message, without being preachy (not at all preachy).


My only problem with this book was that it meandered at some points, got repetitive. Leah's point of view is important, sometimes very interesting, but many times, it felt unnecessary. which made me restless. given the subject of the story. I wanted it to be crisp. Could have been a couple of chapters shorter. 


Nevertheless, I loved reading this book for its unique story idea, for good writing and engaging writing style. Read (it's free for Prime Reading, I think) if you're looking for a different read.


Shaing with 
Bookish League hosted by Ritu.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your review. The book sounds quite intriguing and I also love a good opening line and that a good one.
    Comment by Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not being preachy, is what readers obviously enjoy. Then this book is going to win the hearts of the readers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the premise, and if they are able to pull this book off without being too emotional and preachy then thats an achievement

    ReplyDelete
  4. The introduction with its flowery lyrical prose caught my attention.I find this happens often when an author describes something to us a place, or a person in detail that sometimes can slow down the plot and the reader may become restless. But as long as the book has a meaningful and relatable plot, it will always endear you, this looks like one such book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I like the descriptive passages in the book, the language sounds good. I would probably pick it for that reason alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love mysteries so will try to get this book despite it being too draggy and long at times. Repetition can be avoided but if the book is a good read, I don't mind it. Let's see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The book's opening line and the other lines you quoted are catchy. The character arc is interesting, and the end resolution.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this review. I am quite intrigued and looking up for the title on prime reading immediately.

    ReplyDelete