Monday, February 5, 2024

Saving Books for Later? (+TBR List)

 


Photo: Asal Lotfi, Unsplash

‘Have you ever looked forward to reading a book so much you can’t actually start it?’



This is a quote from ‘The Flatshare’ by Beth O'Leary. And when I read it, I was like ki 'arrey haan! This is what I do. And I am not the only one.’


That's the thing: no matter what we do, think, feel or go through, we are not the only ones. 


There are so many books on my bookshelf (including kindle shelf) that I bought because I really, really wanted to read them, but have been saving them for later, to read it 'aaram se'. I don't know why. Maybe because I fear I might not like it?


But then I realized that tomorrow is not promised, so I decided (I decide too many things every other day) that if I really want to do something like reading that particular book or watching that movie, I’ll always choose my first preference.


I finished reading 'Aapka Bunti’ by Mannu Bhandari. She's one of my favourite Hindi writers. And that was a poignant, well written and heartbreaking read. Currently, I'm reading 'Put Asunder' by Lynn Bishop (Madhulika Liddle). It's a period romance set in Spain. I love Madhulika Liddle's writing.








 


Books I am looking forward to reading in February/March (books that I've already bought; one of them is a gift):


I am planning to focus on Indian Writers (Hindi/English/Translation)


'It Ends With Us’ by Colleen Hoover. Okay, I purchased it on an impulse. :) Heard a lot about this book. I read somewhere that it's like Me Before You, so I really wanted to read. 


Kuntiby Koral Dasgupta (I loved Ahalya and Koral's lyrical writing style so I want to read other books in the Sati series) would be my first preference. 


I've never read any story or novel by Amrita Pritam, so I bought 'Ek Khali Jagah’. It's a very short Hindi novella. 


'Rossogolla Murders’ by Debeshi Gooptu. Debeshi is a dear friend, and she gifted this book to me. I read Mangar Mayhem, the third book in the series, in January and enjoyed it. I connect with Debeshi's characters and writing style immediately (And my views about her writing/stories are not biased). Plus, Rossogolla Murders is set in Kolkata, and I'm fond of stories set in Bengal.


Bombay Balchao by Jane Borges: I bought this book a long time back. I even tried reading once but left after first chapter. So, I'm going to read it, as it's a well loved book, plus I have this inexplicable fascination for Bombay even though I've never been to the city.


‘Songs of Lost Things’ (Sonata for the Sun) by Monica McCollough. It's a Netgalley review copy that sounds interesting. 


'In the City, a Mirror Wandering by Upendranath Ashk. Translated by Daisy Rockwell. I bought this book mainly because of its title and Daisy, of course.


(The Ruskin Bond book ―beautifully illustrated ―is especially for my 10 yo)


I hope every book I pick/buy turns out to be a wonderful, unputdownable read. 


Have you read any of these books?


This post is part of the Bookish League blog hop hosted by Bohemian Bibliophile


Sharing with Blogchatter






45 comments:

  1. Intreresting list.... I haven't read any books in this list but i would sure love to read them.I too have many books that need to be read but i refrain from making lists as i know i'll not read a single one that i'll put in that list. There a higher chance of me randomly picking up a book than making a list and adhering to the ones mentioned in it. I think it's partly because once you make a list it starts feeling more like a chore. Would love to read your thoughts about these books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally understand. Meri TBR list bhi idhar udhar ho jaati hai. I enjoy making lists, but I don't worry about it, as I like to read at my own pace; read books that I actually want to read, leave it unfinished if I don't like.

      Will share my views. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for buying Put Asunder, and I hope you enjoy it (though it's very different from all the other books I've had published)! From your TBR list, I've read Bombay Balchao, which I liked, though I can't say I loved it. It was one of those books I find admirable - well-written, good characterisation, etc, but just not one of those books I would want to re-read. I don't know if I'm making sense. :-)

    P.S. Totally agree about Aapka Bunty. Mannu Bhandari is SO good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's different but very well written and engaging (like your other stories that I've read). Reading the third chapter, and I'm already rooting for Eva and her relationship with Rheese. :)

      About Bombay Balchao: I know what you mean. I tried reading it once but somehow felt disconnected, but want to try again.

      Yes, Mannu Bhandari is SO good. She has written just three novels, I think..'Mahabhoj' seems out of my genre, so I'll buy Swami and reread it. :)

      Delete
    2. I have Swami saved in my TBR folder on Archive.org. I must read it this year!

      Delete
  3. That's a lot of books and I like that you are focussing on Indian writers, lot of talent here actually and most of it is not so explored or well marketed. I liked Coleen Hover's " Verity " though the ending was haphazard but surprising. I too haven't read any book by Amrita Pritam , do share how you like this work of hers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 7 books for February-March (Amrita Pritam's book is a 64 page novella), so I hope I can manage (left one these unfinished). My first by Colleen Hoover, and I'm looking forward to it. :)

      Delete
  4. I've kept my reading goals a little low this year in the only hope that it might help me read the books I really want to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too. My reading goal is 25 books. I am planning to reread my favourite love stories. :)

      Delete
  5. ‘Have you ever looked forward to reading a book so much you can’t actually start it?’ so true, isn't it?

    Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni's Independence is one such book. I hope I can read it this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely loved The Palace of Illusions. Haven't read Independence.

      Delete
  6. No matter what we do, think, feel or go through, we are not the only ones. That's a lovely thought and something that can make us all feel less lonely.
    I decide too many things every other day. Felt you there 😂
    I haven't read any of these books either. And two of them have been on my TBR for a few years too. You've given me the motivation to pick them up and also add a few to my (ever-increasing) TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment. Glad you can relate. Happy reading. :)

      Delete
  7. I definitely hope you love the books you have earmarked. I too add a book in my TBR because I love it but then can't read :D I have read Bombay Balchao and love it. It shows a part of Bombay that's reminiscent of Bombay from my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Life is indeed unpredictable, and it's easy to get caught up in the routine of decision-making without considering what truly brings us joy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes, I do the same thing and put off good books for later... I haven't read any of the books you mentioned but the Daisy Rockwell translation sounds like it would be a great read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I loved Daisy's translation of Pachpan Khambhe Laal Deewarien. So I'm looking forward to reading this one.

      Delete
  10. Loved seeing the books on your TBR. Have read Bombay Balchao and enjoyed it. And yes, one can blindly buy Daisy Rockwell no? Her Hindi to English translastions skills are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read a single book you give here. I heard about one, also mentioned by two others, Rossagolla Murders. So, I should add it to my TBR list. I don't add too many books to my TBR; those I do, I buy and read, and there is no delay in starting the reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good actually, to read without much planning. I also end up reading some other books outside my TBR list. Like I just finished re-reading a Sophie Kinsella's book. Also, finished reading The Rossogolla Murders. Loved it. :)

      Delete
  12. My ever expanding TBR is giving me bad looks as I read your post. On a serious note, I guess sometimes we get so overwhelmed my book suggestions and latest releases that we can't but help buying another book. It's my resolution this year, to read all the books on my TBR and do a recce EOY. I just finished Tuesdays with Morrie, that was on my TBR since 5+ years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I'm also planning to read those unread books on my Kindle shelf before I buy a new lot. But, you can't be sure, you know what I mean. :)

      Delete
  13. This reminds me of my ever increasing TBR, the books I keep buying thinking the world is going to end and I may never have the opportunity to visit a book store ever! But really love the books you have on your list there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't read any from this list, though I ike Madhulika Liddle's writing too. I would like to read Amrita Pritam's book as well. Rest, I leave to time, as my backlog is huge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading Amrita Pritam right now, and it might sound like 'chhota muh badi baat', but I'm quite underwhelmed, to be honest.

      Delete
  15. Even I thought of buying KORAL DASGUPTA'S SATI SERIES after reading reviews and listening to her interviews. But then I decided to finish the one's in my TBR list first and to buy later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a good idea to finish the unread books first. Koral writes so beautifully!

      Delete
  16. Hey Tarang I am also in your list of those readers who still have few books which I purchased in my college days to read and still cant complete and they are beautifying my father's library. Rasogolla Murders is the one I read, loved and enjoyed . Let's see when I get chance to go back to papa's place and pick those books.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey there! Your journey with books resonates deeply with me. That moment when you stumble upon a quote that feels like it was plucked straight from your own thoughts – it's pure magic, isn't it? And you're absolutely right – we're never alone in our experiences, especially when it comes to the wonderful world of reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. Glad you could relate to this post. :)

      Delete
  18. I agree with your concept of keeping books aside and delay to read. I too have a long list of books that I keep lingering for tomorrow but tomorrow never comes. So I have decided to cut down the quantity to quality of books I read.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like how your selection is a combination of different genres - that must make for lovely readings :) I would love to spend more time reading and exploring different genres and just reading more this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a good idea to explore different genres. Some books come as wonderful surprise! From this list: I left two books unfinished. One I finished because it was a short read, but I wasn't very impressed. :(

      Delete
  20. bombay balchao on my tbr as well. The Rosagulla murders in on Kindle Unlimited so I know I would definitely be reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finished reading Rossogolla Murders, it's a very interesting read. ☺️

      Delete
  21. That is an extensive list of books except for rosagulla murdrers everything seems new to me. Will read the books whenever possible. Thank you for writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you read some very good books. Thanks!😊

      Delete
  22. 100% agree on The Flatshare quote. There is this list of books that I want to start reading but they keep getting put on the backburner. That includes Koral Dasgupta's series too. Checking out 'Put Asunder'. Madhulika Liddle's writing is so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Madhulika's writing is so good (waiting for the second book in the series). And Koral's writing too. Reading Kunti. So beautiful so far.

      Delete