Sunday, March 10, 2019

Book Review: Draupadi ---the tale of an empress by Saiswaroopa Iyer,




I've loved watching or listening to mythological tales since my childhood, but my interest in reading mythological fiction is rather new.

When it comes to mythology, I feel Mahabharata is very advanced, way ahead of its time. And, Draupadi one the strongest mythological characters. So, when I got the opportunity to review Draupadi by Saiswaroopa Iyer {Rupa Publications}, there was no reason to even think twice.

Draupadi by Saiswaroopa Iyer is a well researched, imaginative portrayal of Mahabharat from Uttara's point of view. Uttara tells the tale of Draupadi, the empress when Janamejaya {Uttara's grandson and Arjun's great grandson} wonders why some people judge and blame Draupadi for the Mahabharat War.

While reading the book, I actually forgot that it's Uttara who was telling the story. It was an engrossing read, yes! But when I finished the book I couldn't help wondering  how Uttara knew so much about Draupadi ---her childhood, her intimate moments with her husbands etc. It was actually Draupadi's PoV.

Anyway, I'd take it as creative liberty.

The story is imaginative, as I said earlier. And this is the strong point of any mythological fiction, for we already know the basic story.

Certain things are beautifully expressed, like I loved Draupadi's first meeting with Krishna. Their friendship, their conversation, the way they understand each other.

'Too brave for an intruder, aren't you?' Draupadi said.

'Or too sure that a friend will not be harmed for trying to meet one, where someone like you are in charge, Krishnaa.'

I loved the conversations with her son when she was leaving for the exile. I really liked the way her relationship with her husbands has been portrayed, especially with Bhima. And the moment when she meets Arjun ---the man who was supposed to be her only husband ---for the first time as his wife.

And I am glad the author has dedicated a chapter to Nakul and Draupadi. I liked it.

However, there are certain things that bothered me ----in my very personal opinion.

The author has avoided the unnecessary details, which was OK but I felt that sometimes the writing was 'to the point'. I missed the descriptions of settings and appearances that create vivid imagery.

And, I was looking forward to the Bhishm and Shikhandi encounter, but that ended quickly as a brief summary.

Also, when I read a book ---any genre ---I look for beautiful quotes {I often share them} but I missed that in this book. There are thoughtful dialogues, yes, but I didn't find any memorable ones. But, I am sharing the one I really liked.

'It takes a warrior to fight till the end. But it takes a true leader to convince people for a new beginning.'

Overall, it was a good, engrossing read. If you enjoy mythological fiction, you must read this one.


I received this book from the publisher for an honest review.




1 comment: