Monday, June 10, 2024

Movie Characters with Books

 

This post is inspired by Madhulika Liddle’s post ‘People with Books in Hindi Cinema (A two part post). Of course, her post is more detailed and brilliantly researched. I really enjoyed that post (click the link to read it), so here I’m trying my version. :))




Love Story by Erich Segal: Mujhse Dosti Karoge. 



This is not a very successful film, but I like it. And in this film Rani Mukherjee is seen reading this book. In another scene, Uday Chopra wants to buy a book for her. Love Story. And she says, ‘Mere paas already ek love story hai.’ 


I am not sure about the text in the image because I haven't read this book. It's a hugely popular and well loved book. I bought it many years ago but I couldn't read it. I think I was too quick to give up, so maybe I can try again.



Sushi for Beginners by Marian Keyes: Me Before You



Me Before You is one of my favourite books. And the film adaptation is also good, particularly Sam Claflin as Will Traynor (my favourite fictional male character) is bang on!


So, Emilia Clarke is reading this book when she is looking after Will. 


I haven't read this book though. I have a novel titled Rachel’s Holiday by Marian Keyes, which I bought in 2012, but I haven't read it. 


Raseedi Ticket Amrita Pritam: Soni


Soni is a lesser known but nice crime movie (on Netflix). It's about Soni, a policewoman who is very courageous, fearless and honest, but cannot control her anger and beats the shit out of someone who does something bad/crosses the limit, which often causes trouble. Her senior tries to defend her, and there's a scene (in the end) where she gives 'Raseedi Ticket' to her and asks her to read. 


Unfortunately, I couldn't find an image. Raseedi Ticket is Amrita Pritam's extremely popular autobiography. I haven't read it though.



Norwegian Woods by Haruki Murakami: Wake Up Sid





Again, one of my favourite movies! I have seen this movie multiple times. There's a scene where Konkona Sen comes home to find Sid (Ranbir Kapoor) reading a book. Honestly, I wasn't sure if he was reading the very same book but I did some research and found out about the book. In fact, there are other instances where characters from this movie are seen with books. 


Norwegian Woods is an immensely popular, well loved book, a love story, but I haven't read it.


Unnamed Book: Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara. 





It's my favourite movie! I can watch this movie over and over again. So they are in Spain, staying in a hotel, when they talk about Abhay Deol's fiance (Kalki) and whether he is happy about this relationship. Farhan Akhtar, to avoid this conversation, starts reading a novel. I tried but I couldn't find out the title of that book.



Emilia Galotti by G E Lessing:

The Reader





I have watched this movie (based on a book with the same name, set in the period of post WW2) but it's not really my favourite.


So, obviously (as the name of the movie suggests), the protagonists are often seen reading books (actually the guy reads to the much older woman he loves, as she is illiterate). But there's a particular scene where the title of the book is visible. Well, kind of. I tried hard to get the name.


Set in Italy, the book is a play, basically a political commentary based on 'the myth of Verginia'. Published in 1772.


The Jury (Or it could be The Judge because it's not visible after ‘The’) by Steve Martini: Dil Chahta Hai





Again, a favourite and fantastic movie. During the popular song ‘Jaane Kyun Log Pyar Karte hain…’ Preity Zinta is seen reading this book on the train. I haven't read this book but it seems like a popular legal novel. In fact, Steve Martini is known for writing legal novels.



So, have you read any of these books? Or watched any of these movies? Which one is your favourite?




Written for Bookish League hosted by Ritu

Sharing with Blogchatter




14 comments:

  1. Oh, nice! (and thank you for the shout-out, plus the link to my posts). I have actually seen most of the Hindi films listed here, except Soni - but so long back (and so before I became intrigued by books in cinema) that I don't recall any of these. And TBH, I haven't read any of these books, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this idea. I really enjoyed composing this post. Yes, it's intriguing and kind of a feel-good moment to see a movie character reading a book. :))

      Delete
  2. Great Post.... Haven't read any of these books but have heard good things about them. In ZNMD there is a scene where abhay deol's character is shown reading Paul Auster's New York Trilogy. Also, in angoor you can see Sanjiv Kumar's character reading Ved Prakash Kamboj's book Agyat Apradhi and there are few films and series which have shown Surender Mohan Pathak's books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I don't really remember Abhay Deol reading that book. I remember Farhan Akhtar maybe because of the awkward situation. And yes, I remember Angoor (Sanjeev Kumar 's expressions. It's one of my favourite movies). :)

      Thank you for reading my post. Glad you liked it.

      Delete
  3. I like Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara, also Wake up Sid, but I haven't read Norwegian Woods by Haruki Murakami. Have bookmarked the book! Now, I like Love Story by Erich Segal but I just didn't like Mujhe se Dosti Karoge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hardly watch movies. But I love books. In the rare movies that I do watch if a character is reading a book I'm curious to know more about it. This post is quite a novel thing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read Love Story - you should give it another chance. I have seen some of the movies you have mentioned and love all of them :) There used to be a simplicity in earlier movies that is missing these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tarang I would love to appreciate your sense of humor or choice of topic. Seriously you are just outstanding I am in love with this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't watched the first three movies that you mentioned and the ones that I have watched, I hardly remember the books! I think characters carrying books do tell us more about the character if you know the kind of book they are reading. This was an interesting post Tarang!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know, I read Raseedi Ticket after watching Soni. I was quite ignorant about Amrita Pritam before this. I have seen all the movies on the list, except Emilia Galotti by G E Lessing. Books, I still have to read many. Waise Love Story used to be my favorite book as a teenager. I think if I think about the story, I can still cry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wake Up Sid has many books in the unpacking scene when Aisha receives her stuff from back home in her new Mumbai apartment. Also, so happy to Soni on this list. It's a wonderful movie that deserves more audience and credit for sure

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting post, Tarang. I had no idea that so many of these popular movies were book adaptations. Well, I should have guessed actually. I am particularly surprised with the mention of ZNMD and DCH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonia, no they're not book adaptations except for 'The Reader'. This post is about the movie characters seen reading books. :))

      Delete
  11. Haha even I try and check what book the movie characters are reading and whether they are holding it right. I never thought of remembering them though. Good post.

    ReplyDelete