Saturday, April 2, 2022

B: Beta Reading (#BlogchatterA2Z)

 






Have faith in your writing but do not fall in love with it. Not too soon at least.


When I wrote my first novel I was pretty pleased. Writing a novel is a big deal, yes it is. I sent it to several publishers and it obviously got rejected. I was heartbroken.


Then one day I found a website where they were reviewing the first 800 words of the manuscript. I submitted, very hopeful. Publishing industry is difficult to crack, right, so maybe they rejected my work just like that? But no, my manuscript actually had problems as I got bad reviews. I decided to not touch that manuscript. Not for a while at least. 


After a year or so, I started working on it again. I changed my voice and made major changes. In fact I rewrote it. Again submitted and got positive responses from renowned publishing houses. 


What I mean is, get your manuscript beta read even if you feel it's good. Especially if you are writing your first book.



In simple words, beta reading means reviewing a manuscript. A beta reader checks your manuscript for plot holes, readability and plausibility, which is very important. It would enhance your chances when you are going for traditional publishing.


Two important things to keep in mind:


You can seek professional help, of course, however you can ask your close ones, who enjoy reading and understand the craft, to read. In my case, my sister, my husband and my brother (plus some family friends) shared some valuable points. 


Choose someone who is brutally honest. A few years ago, a friend sent her book to me to review. I am not a very straightforward person but when it comes to reading, I am very honest. Sometimes honesty lands you into trouble. The friend told me that my input was affecting her writing in a negative way. I apologised but we are not friends anymore. 


The thing is, if you like praises then you must have the heart to accept criticism. It's for your own good. You don't have to agree with your beta reader every time she/he makes a point but consider it, think carefully. There's nothing to feel bad about. 



What do you think about it?




I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z




12 comments:

  1. A hard hitting thought, "if you like praises then you must have the heart to accept criticism", here Tarang. Coming from a kind hearted, accomplished artist, it carries every ounce of its weight well on its shoulders.
    Happy to A2Z to you.
    Now I look forward to your CtoZ :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Anagha, for your kind words! 🙏 :)

      Delete
  2. Agree to every bit there. Lost a few writing friends because I didn't go gaga over their writing.
    -Sonia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sad.
      Thank you, Sonia,for reading my post.

      Delete
  3. The most important thing is that your beta reader should belong to your target audience. Most of the time authors get bad reviews because they choose the wrong person for the feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree! It is important to get a beta reader but also the right one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, we all are good at taking positive reviews but not criticism ! This is a very useful point that you have highlighted for people who want to debut their books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting to know about beta reading
    It specialy helps if u r very new. All the best for a to z

    Visiting from http://afshan-shaik.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made the mistake of publishing without beta readers with my first book. With (bitter) experiences I learnt how important it is to get a third person perspective on our writing. Such valid points brought out through this post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally totally agree with the importance of Beta reading! loved reading it

    ReplyDelete