Friday, December 8, 2023

A Bookish Q & A Post 2023

 

Photo: Unsplash


I found this interesting bookish questions post (by Pratibha) on Twitter, and picked a few questions to answer. Here it goes...


Top 3 books read in 2023


Simsim by Geet Chaturvedi, translated by Anita Gopalan


Cobalt Blue by Sachin Kundalkar, translated by Jerry Pinto


Woman to Woman by Madhulika Liddle


I'd like to mention a horror novel, 'Let Him In’ by William Friend.


Favourite romance 2023


None, actually. And I'm surprised. Re-read my two favourite romance books (I'll mention later).


Best mystery/thriller 2023


The Boy from the Sea by HL Macfarlane


Rereads 2023


Aalampanah

Love Virtually and Every Seventh Wave (the sequel).


An adaptation done right


Jaane Jahan (The Devotion of Suspect X)


Favourite new author 2023


They're not new but I experienced their writing for the first time. 


Madhulika Liddle

Arunava Sinha

Jerry Pinto


Books that more people need to read


Simsim

Woman to Woman


Books you didn't finish in 2023


'Deewaar Mein Ek Khidki Rehti Thi' by Vinod Kumar Shukla. It's a Sahitya Academy winning book so I can't say much. I was so looking forward to it, but I couldn't wrap my mind around what was happening. A unique, well loved book that didn't work for me.


Most read genres 2023


Nothing specific. Literary fiction, maybe. Also, I re-explored horror this year, and I wasn't disappointed.


Books that was not worth the hype:


I am very impatient when it comes to reading. I have left many unanimously loved, immensely popular books unfinished, but I won't say they weren't worth the hype. To each their own. They didn't work for me.


Best translation read in 2023


Simsim

Translator: Anita Gopalan


Cobalt Blue

Translator: Jerry Pinto


Greatest Bengali Stories Ever Told Translator: Arunava Sinha


Last book you read in 2023


The last two books didn't work for me, so let it be. I'm reading two books ―Aapka Banti by Mannu Bhandari & Shake the Bottle by Ashapurna Debi (translated by Arunava Sinha). I'm unbelievably slow these days.


Now, your turn!


Written for Bookish League hosted by Ritu

Sharing with Blogchatter



28 comments:

  1. Your reading choices are so interesting.I'm not familiar with a lot of them. Also, how's Mannu Bhandari as an author? Have you read other books by her? I want to expand my Hindi reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mannu Bhandari is one of my favourite Hindi writers. Her novel 'Swami' (which is a modified version of Saratchandra's Bengali novel, Swami) is my all time favourite. I read it many many years ago. I don't have a copy now but I feel like rereading, so I'll buy a copy. There's a movie as well (starring Shabana Azmi and Girish Karnad). Also, I read 'Yehi Sach Hai' (a short story) recently and liked it. The movie Rajnigandha (Vidya Sinha & Amil Palekar) is based on this story. Read Swami I'd say or let me finish Aapka Banti. I'll let you know. :)

      Delete
  2. Some good reads you had there... Will try reading them.. especially the horror one... I have got both editions of Cobalt bule with me now... The hindi translation done by Geet Chaturvedi and english one done by Jerry Pinto... For me i prefer hindi translations especially if the books have been originally written in an Indian Language...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's a good one. That actually rekindled my interest in Horror novels. I'm planning to read some Hindi translations. Please recommend some titles.

      Delete
  3. What an interesting entry. I should really not read books in December, my brain just goes on a holiday but I'm slow too this month with my reading. May just read only 1 book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't finished those books. Maybe I should pick some other book for now.

      Delete
  4. I also discovered Jerry Pinto this year and loved his writings. Cobalt blue is also my favorite one I also watched the screen adaptation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I found the movie on Netflix. Watched for a few minutes, will finish it soon. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm not much into reading in other languages besides English, including translations. And your answers have motivated me to check out some of the titles here. Thanks for the recs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like to read this 'The Boy from the Sea' by HL Macfarlane from your list. I looked up the twitter prompts linked from your post and I think I will compile my list now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be interesting. Would love to read your answers. :)

      Delete
  7. I liked your opinion and choice of about Books and authors and especially what draged my attention in the whole post is Arunava Sinha. Being a Bengali it makes me feel happy when I find my fellow bookish friend also reading books form and by Bengali authors. I am more into reading Indian authors over foreign authors. I do read them my very less compared to domestic authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very fond of Bengali stories (books or movies). :)

      Delete
  8. These questions surely are food for thought.
    Madhulika Liddle's book -Woman to Woman, has been featured in a lot of positive reviews so that is something that catches my fancy, also "The Boy from the Sea "by Mcfarlane, thanks for sharing Tarang.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, Jaane Jahan adapted from The Devotion of Suspect X was good. But I am biased towards the book... I felt the book was better than the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books are always better and deeper than the movies.

      Delete
  10. Your eclectic reading list is fascinating! 'Simsim,' 'Cobalt Blue,' and 'Woman to Woman' sound like intriguing reads. Great choices for mystery/thriller and new authors. It's refreshing to see honest reflections on books that didn't resonate with you. Looking forward to exploring some of these titles myself!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I purchased Sim sim the last time I was in India, planning to read it soon. Also "Shake the Bottle" has been sitting on my shelf for so long...need to get to it too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved Jaane Jaan! Glad to know that it was a good adaptation.
    Jerry Pinto is a great writer as well and I usually end up enjoying Sinha's translations, although The Greatest Bengali Stories wasn't something I enjoyed. It might have more to do with my love-hate relationship with anthologies, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand. I've taken a break from short story collections, as I have read many recently.

      Delete
  13. Enjoyed reading your post, Tarang. With you on Woman to Woman. Yet to read SimSim and Greatest Bengali Stories Ever Told although they are already on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete