Sunday, January 12, 2014

My favourite off beat movies


This topic is actually interesting for me but I'm feeling confused while writing this post, as, I generally like watching offbeat movies. I really feel good how Indian Cinema has transformed and we get to see some really good, intelligent and different films. It's really difficult for me to shrink my favourites to just five! Still I'm trying:




The first one would be Namkeen, directed by Gulzar. The book is based on a story "Akal Basant" by Samaresh Basu. This film tells a very poignant story of three unmarried sisters, played by Sharmila Tagore, Shabana Azmi and Kiran Vairale, who live with their old mother Jugni, a former dancer in nautanki, played by Waheeda Rehman, whose husband leaves her in the lurch with three daughters. Gerulal, played by Sanjeev Kumar is their tenant who make them feel secure.

The film is about their struggle and how destiny robs their life. The film is very touching with a subtle touch of humour. It starts with sweet humour but as it progresses, it becomes intense and the end left me with goosebumps and the effect lingered on! 

Great film. Great performances! No wonder, it bagged so many awards, including a National Award!





Directorial debut of Aamir Khan is indeed something different! This film touched a very delicate subject so tenderly. This film tells the story of a dyslexic child, wonderfully played by Darsheel Safari, who tries to mask his difficulties behind mischief. 

The story moves interestingly and ends beautifully. I like how it manages to stir waves of emotion every time I watch it. It's a very smart take on modern day parenting. i love the song Maa....





Mr & Mrs Iyer, I think, is the mildest love story of Indian Cinema, and I liked it! The story revolves around a Tamilian Brahmin woman, who is travelling with her toddler and Muslim Bengali wildlife photographer. They share a moving and shattering journey together where they witness the brutal face of communal riots. 

The film is very touching. a particular scene is heart-wrenching! I liked the softness of emotions it carries. Wonderful performance by Konkana Sen Sharma and Rahul Bose.

The film received the National Award in the best film category.






I think Kahani is the most gripping and unusual suspense thriller! Vidya Balan splendidly played a pregnant woman, in search of her husband. The film is full of surprises! It's amazing to flow with the story as it unfolds many shocking twists. 

It has a unique story line, very well executed. Exceptional climax and a must see movie!




I never knew about this movie. I got a chance to see this movie, directed by Priyadarshan, accidentally and it came as a pleasant surprise. This film beautifully portrays the sweet bond of a brother and a sister, even in extreme hardship and adverse situations. 

I loved some really sweet, innocent and touching moments and incidents in this film. Children, Darsheel Safari and Ziyah Vastani, played their characters really well!

So, these are my favourites! I'm skipping many nice films in this category as this post is restricted to just five films. 




This post is a part of the Miss Lovely Activity in association with BlogAdda.


Miss Lovely, an off-beat film directed by Ashim Ahluwalia is set in the lower depths of Bombay’s “C” grade film industry. It follows the devastating story of two brothers who produce sex horror films in the mid – 1980s. A sordid tale of betrayal and doomed love, the film dives into the lower depths of the Bollywood underground, an audacious cinema with baroque cinemascope compositions, lurid art direction, wild background soundtracks, and gut-wrenching melodrama. Miss Lovely is scheduled for commercial release on 17 January 2014.

You can check the trailer of the film.











10 comments:

  1. Nice selection... but I'd have loved to read more on why you decided to include these movies.

    Arvind Passey
    www.passey.info

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!:)

      I think the words of praise for these films tell why I like these films but I feel sorry you found that lacking...:(

      Delete
    2. Actually I thought I should not talk about more than five films though I was willing to write about many off beat films as I like them more than any typical commercial film. Maybe I took the rules very seriously...: )

      Delete
  2. TZP and mr and Mrs Iyer are my heart favs
    just yest I watched TZP
    Namkeen - I Shud watch. Only heard abt it
    A wonderful list Tarang..

    ReplyDelete
  3. by the way bum bum bole is made from children of the heaven (Iranian movie)
    do watch it. U will love it too !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice collection Tarang. I haven't watched Namkeen though and i have watched the film children of heaven on which BumBumBole is actually based...
    All the best for contest dear :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Piyu!:)
      Maybe I'd watch Children of Heaven someday...Namkeen can be a nice watch for those who like off beat films. I personally liked it very much!

      Delete
  5. Nice compilation Tarang, haven't watched Namkeen though I have heard a lot about it. Bumm Bumm Bole is a touching Indianisation of "Children of heaven", a movie that tugs at your hearts breaking the language barrier.

    ReplyDelete