Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Book Review: The Woman Who Saw The Future by Amit Sharma



Dreams fascinate me. And, I mostly remember my dreams. I think this is the main reason I felt connected to this theme and found it intriguing.

The Woman Who Saw The Future by Amit Sharma (Readomania) is an uncanny story of a woman called Sapna. Sapna is a normal college going girl who suddenly develops a super-power --- power of seeing future/deaths in her dreams that is making her insane. Then, a television show, Lucky People, comes her way that transforms her life. She finds solace by saving people who are supposed to die by revealing her dreams on the show. She becomes a worldwide sensation, the most powerful woman of this world. People start thinking that she is the messenger of God and start worshiping her.

But, things don't remain perfect for long time. One misuse of her powers, and things upend. A certain part of her personality turns murky. What happens when the world knows about her ugly truth? What about her personal life? You will have to read this book to know the answers (so many other answers), and I can assure you won't be disappointed.

The Woman Who Saw The Future is Amit Sharma's second book, and his writing is neat. The book is cleverly-crafted, I'd say. There are so many well-placed questions, they float in your mind and you want to know the answers.

The story has been told from every significant points of view, and here the story drags a little, sometimes. I didn't want to know about Om-Anupama's love story. We knew that they were engaged and that was enough. Also, there are some pages where Sapna talks about trivial things, maybe not trivial from her perspective, but as a reader, those things didn't matter. Stretched narration, for this kind of (intriguing) plot, made me impatient. 

And, I really wished that Kalpana hadn't said 'You know' all the time. I understand that some people have this terrible habit of saying this frequently, so it would have been okay if the author has used it in the dialogues. But use of 'you know' frequently in the narration really annoyed me!

The characters are nicely sketched. I liked the character of Kalpana and Saahil. There's a certain kind of charm and innocence in Sapna-Saahil relationship. But,the turning point of their relationship seemed a little implausible to me.

I loved the concluding scene.

But, ignoring all these minor glitches, I would say that you must pick this book if you're looking for a different, well-written story. I'd like to congratulate the author for conceptualizing this 'imaginative' theme and managing to make it really intriguing and engrossing.


I received this book from The Book Club for an unbiased review.


No comments:

Post a Comment