Thursday, August 9, 2018

My Favourite Author: Debbie Macomber

I started this series, My Favourite Author, on my blog recently and featured three guest posts under this category. You can read them HERE. Now, it's my turn!

First of all, when it comes to reading, I, unapologetically, prefer women authors who write about strong women, women who have equal, substantial presence in the story. You can read my article 'I’m Not Afraid To Say That I’m Biased Towards WomenProtagonists And Authors!' on Women's Web.




'Be an encourager. Scatter sunshine. Who knows whose life you might touch with something as simple as a kind word.' 

Hard hitting, dark stories on social/political issues are okay, but I enjoy reading pleasant, delightful stories. And, when I think about pleasant, delightful stories, Debbie Macomber comes to my mind.

I remember that quiet afternoon when I had nothing new to read. Back then, I was not familiar with online shopping and and needed to visit bookshops/stalls to buy books.

I badly wanted to read something, so I picked 'This Matter Of Marriage' by Debbie Macomber and reread it. It was my first book by the author. I enjoyed it like I had enjoyed reading it for the first time. And, I rarely re-read books!

I had recently discovered a bookshop that sold old books at a very reasonable price. And, there I found Debbie Macomber, I mean her books. And I am so glad. What attracted me? The blurb, of course and lovely covers that looked like paintings.

After re-reading 'This Matter Of Marriage', I went to the bookshop and bought 7-8 books by Debbie Macomber. I read all of them, and realized that she never failed to entertain me.



Her stories are delightful. Her male protagonists are charming! There's a thing --- the stories by Debbie Macomber are happy stories. You won't find many twists and turns yet you would find them engrossing if you like reading romance novels. It's Debbie's storytelling and her relatable characters and situations that make her stories interesting.

A Little Bit Country was a novel that was so gripping that I stayed awake till the wee hours to finish it. The characters, their chemistry, their unexpressed feelings gripped me. In 'Moon Over Water',  Lorraine and Jack sail together, due to an emergency, in Jack’s private boat for many days. They initially detest each other but in these few days they grow loving each other immensely yet unable to express their feelings {because Lorraine is engaged}.

You see, I like this 'unexpressed feelings' thing in her stories as I do not like insta love thing. It may sound similar, but it's different in every story, in its own way.

It's been a long time since I read her novels. Back then, I was not an author, I didn't read books to review; I had just started discovering new Indian authors. My TBR was not that long; I was not on any social media platforms --- reading life was easier.

But, I've planned to buy her novels soon. I've selected already ---  Little Bookshop Of Promises, Starry Night and Dashing Through The Snow. Interesting titles, no?

So, have you read Debbie Macomber? If yes, which books did you like? If no, then you should if you like romance. And, who is your favourite author? Please share.


No comments:

Post a Comment