Monday, January 7, 2019

Book Review: The long way home by Mitali Meelan



'It's not what you see in a person, it's what you feel when they're around. Sometimes, a person is your umbrella, shielding you from the pelting of a rainstorm. Sometimes, the person is the rainstorm.'

From the book.


The long way home by Mitali Meelan is a family drama. It's about Adhikari family ---Ishaan, Arihant, a little demanding cute little sister Saloni and their mother, however, the story mainly revolves around the brothers Ishaan and Arihant. They all try, rather pretend to be a happy family, but they are dealing with their own personal problems.

Still recovering from a break-up, Arihant, a caring young man, works for a magazine and owns a blog where he writes poetry. On the other hand, Ishaan is too secretive and aloof and rude.

So what's the secret or agony of Ishaan's life? What about Arihant's love life?

As I said, this is a pure family drama, a little unusual theme {In the current writing/publishing scenario}. The author has handled the familial bonds, situations and quirks well.

The writing is neat, and I really liked some quotes, like:

'No matter what I claim, what I let my friends and myself believe, after all the fights, tears, misunderstandings and long silences, sometimes all I wish to tell her is 'Stay'.

However I have a little problem with the execution. The book is written in first person from both Ishaan and Arihant's point of view, which is good but the way it has been divided as 'longish' Part 1 for Arihant and Part 2 for Ishaan made this read a little monotonous. Mostly because no other character makes a mark.

I liked the text exchanges between Arihant and Nyra...I always do. Text exchanges, I believe, are a refreshing change in a story.


Go for it if you enjoy family drama.


I received this book from Writersmelon for an honest review.


No comments:

Post a Comment