Tuesday, February 19, 2019

The Couple Outside The Door


Photo by Mat Reding from Unsplash.com


What time is it? I can't figure it out. Day or it's dark already? It doesn't look very bright. I faintly remember there was a party on the terrace of our building. I don't remember what I did there. I don't even like going to parties. But, if I remember about the party, it means I was there.

And who is this woman inside my house? Standing in front of me. I do not recognize her but it seems that she wants to say something. Right then, a sharp conversation attracts our attention. She turns to look at my main door and I am still wondering who she is.

Two people are talking right outside my door. A boy and a girl. Soon, the conversation turns into an argument. A heated argument. I cannot comprehend what they are saying but it sounds like they are in a relationship, and the girl is demanding an explanation and the boy is unable to explain.

Now, they have started shouting. It really irritates me and I want to go and tell them to stop fighting, but it's their personal matter, you see. So, I'll just go and tell them to fight somewhere else. Right then, I hear a deafening sound, like someone has hit something with a heavy object. Again, again and again. The sound seems to be travelling to me, hitting my ears with a painful ringing.

The door is slightly ajar and I look through the closed grill door. The boy is hitting the girl. The image is blurry but I, somehow, know he is hitting her. Suddenly, I wonder if the grill door is closed properly. I wonder if the boy has seen me. That I am the witness to his heinous act. A sense of fear grips me. I am about to approach the door when my eyes meet a pair of bloodshot eyes. The boy spots me looking at him. I feel like my shuddering heart has wedged itself in my throat.

The next thing I see that the boy, I do not recognize, is inside my house, his hands smeared with thick blood!

My eyes fly open, my heart still thundering.

Yes, you got it right! This was my dream two days ago. Considering the events I dream about these days, I should be writing crime thrillers. I will, someday. Hopefully. I have noted all my dream ideas, kind of a dream journal. Also, the unknown people I see in my dreams. Sigh!

Do you remember your dreams? Do you see unknown people in your dreams? Have you ever written any story that is inspired by your dreams? Please share, if yes. I'd love to read. I have written a story titled 'Not Without You' {that's inspired by one of my weird dreams}, published on Juggernaut reading app. Click the link, in case you want to read. It's short and free. :)


4 comments:

  1. I do sometimes remember my dreams, many keep a dream journal, but I don't.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Tarang.. You built up the suspense successfully. I wish I can remember my dreams.. I tend to forget them most if the times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Trupti! So good to see you here. :)

      It's good actually that you forget your dreams. It means you sleep soundly. :)

      Delete