Tuesday, June 15, 2021

The Book and its Movie Adaptation

 




'Anyone who thinks fallen leaves are dead has never watched them dancing on a windy day.'


― Shira Tamir


Frankly, I haven't really planned my posts for this blog marathon. I was thinking what to write when I remembered this quote that I shared on Twitter. 


It's such a lovely quote. And it creates such lovely imagery. 


No, I'm going to discuss the gist of this quote.


When I read the quote, I visualized leaves flying in slow motion. So many leaves, colourful ones: yellow, orange, burnt sienna. And then my imagination focused on just one leaf, the pale green one, floating artistically. And it reminded me of the last scene of Me Before You, the movie. The last letter.


I avoid watching movie adaptations, especially if it's my favourite book. But I watched Me Before You, after reading the book, and I really liked it. Of course, the book is deeper and more beautiful but Sam Claflin and Emilia Clarke were bang on! Especially, Sam Claflin as Will Traynor, my favourite fictional male character.


Then I reread the book and loved it even more (and I'm not fond of rereading books).


And then, one day I caught The Kite Runner on TV. I loved the movie. So I decided to read the book. Again, the book was much deeper and more beautiful and poignant but reading the book after watching the movie was a different experience. I have decided that if I happen to watch a nice movie adaptation (I seldom watch TV though), I am going to read the book.


Do you like to watch movie adaptations? Do you read the book first or watch the movie before reading the book? Or have you ever reread a book after watching the movie?


‘This post is a part of Blogchatter Half Marathon.’





17 comments:

  1. I like to watch movie adaptations but now have learned to accept that they are differet mediums and there is very less chance that a movie adaptaion would be as satitating as a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and it's totally understandable because it's difficult to capture a 300+ page book in 2 hours.
      Thank you for reading.

      Delete
  2. I always want to read the book first and then see its movie adaptation. It gives me a background since a movie can never be as thorough as a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always make it a point to read the book before watching the adaptations. Most of the times, the movies let me down. I think it is because I imagine the scenes so vividly when I am reading the book. That is one beautiful quote about fallen leaves. I had never quite thought of them that way. I loved Me Before You and the Kite Runner too. Have you read the second part of Me Before You? It's called After You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. They kind of ruin my imagination. That's why I avoid watching adaptations. But Me Before You is good. I
      I haven't, mainly because Will is not there. I bought Still Me, the last book in the series (hopefully), but couldn't finish.

      Delete
  4. I generally read the book first and then watch the movie. And always I find the book better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, books are always better. :)
      Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  5. I do not get to read many books, but only a few. So I don't mind watching a movie adaption as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tend to read the book first and then watch the movie. Me before you is one of my favorite movies as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watch movie adaptations only if it intrigues me.They rarely do justice to the book

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have discovered a movie/show series thanks to a book and vice versa. Over the years, I have tried to stop comparing the two and just enjoy them as different art pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Movie adaptions of books are a stark reality of poignant emotions are not captured. Kite Runner was a major let down for me. The book evoked such strong emotions and to not feel them in the movie was so disheartening.

    ReplyDelete