Saturday, February 4, 2017

Book Review: My Father is a Hero by Nishant Kaushik



'Your failures can never weigh as much as the burden of your regrets.' : My Father is a Hero 

I really liked this quotation. How true is this!

The story of My Father is a Hero  (Srishti Publishers) by Nishant Kaushik is based on  'Father-Daughter' relationship where a single father, Vaibhav, is willing to go to any lengths for his daughter's (Nisha) happiness.

That's all.

The first thing you notice in a book is its cover, and the cover of this book is very boring. So boring that I didn't want to read this book initially. But, so many good reviews prompted me to sign up for a review copy.

Now, about the story - the story of My Father is a Hero is very plain and predictable, without any twists and turns. It takes 55-60 pages to happen something that you may care about. However, last part of the book is interesting. 

Writing/narration is okay, but characterization is vague. Except Vaibhav and Nisha, not a single character leaves a mark. In my opinion, the character of Nisha's mother who seldom appears in Vaibhav's or Nisha's thoughts, deserved more space in the story.

Vaibhav is a good father indeed. I liked the way he handles her daughter so patiently. The author has described his restlessness and worries well. But, Nisha's character is very annoying. She 'never' behaves like a ten year old kid. I needed to remind myself that Nisha is a kid, not a grown up girl. She goes to salons and restaurants (even in Australia she goes to a place by herself without telling her father), and her 'single' father (who drops and picks her from school every single day) doesn't know. There's a certain scene/incident in the book that somewhat angered me. I don't know if ten year olds nurture/bother about such feelings that has been shown in the book.

Descriptions are inappropriate, sometimes. Like, an anxious father who has been summoned to the school (for a serious issue), visits the principal's chamber, and the way he notices another visitor's, a woman, attire (maybe it's from FabIndia, he thinks), her pumps, her accessories, handbag's brand etc. was a little odd. Maybe, it's just me, but I'm not sure if anyone would notice someone so minutely when they're nervous/worried.

Overall, for  me, it was an average read. If you are looking for a quick and easy read or a travel partner, you may take this book as an option.


I received this book from Writer's Melon for an honest review.


3 comments:

  1. The cover looked like " Pursuit of Happiness"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe, there's some kind of similarity, but The Pursuit of Happyness is far-far better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a coincidence I was just sitting down to review this book. I loved the cover but found the book disappointing. What you said about Nisha is so bang on. Sometimes I wanted to give her a shake and tell her to loosen up.

    ReplyDelete