Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Best Movies I Watched in 2017




Whenever I watch television, I prefer to watch movies. I seldom get peaceful, uninterrupted time to watch television (I like watching movies alone. What about you?) so, I prefer English (or foreign language) movies channel. Not because I don't like Hindi movies or all Hollywood movies are great, but because English movies are quick and you just don't have to sit for 4 hours (including ads) to watch the complete movie.


Last year, I did this Best Movies I Watched in 2016 post. So, I thought to do it again. So here it goes.








Me Before You – the book was a poignant and disturbing read for me, I loved this book for it had evoked my deepest emotions, then. Me Before You –  the movie stirred the emotions yet again.  

The movie is a very simplified version of the book. Obviously, it's difficult to capture the depth and emotions of 300-400 pages in two hours. But, what makes this movie lovable is its spot on characters. Mostly, the actors playing the book characters terribly disappoint and that's why I avoid watching film adaptations. But both Sam Claflin and Emilia Clarke playing Will Traynor and Louisa Clark are just bang on! Especially Sam Claflin. Will Traynor is a character who is very close to my heart and I love Sam Claflin for playing the character so beautifully –  just like I had imagined while reading the book. It breaks my heart when Sam Claflin says, 'So, this is it.' 

It doesn't happen with me often that a fictional character makes so much impact. Is there any fictional character that has affected you so much? 








The Book Thief – another film adaptation. But, I haven’t read this book, but I really liked this movie and the characters, especially Liesel and Max. And, I think I’d like to read the book just to experience the joy of beautiful writing (as the fabulous reviews say) as I have realized that if you like a film and the actors playing the book characters (so that they don't spoil your imagination), you should read (if they’re not suspense/mystery) the book as books are always better, deeper and richer (see how perspective changes).






The Boy In Striped Pyjamas – a film adaptation yet again and I haven't read the book, and oh, it broke my heart. 

If I don't pay much attention, this film doesn't have my favourite elements. It's a children story, set in World War (historical) and doesn't star any of my favourite actors. I just found it on TV, and once I started, I couldn't stop watching. It tells about the friendship of two children who are not supposed to be friends. Both the child artists are adorable. It's horrifying and heartbreaking.  










Tomorrowland – I have stopped reading science fiction long ago but while watching this film, I realized that it’s still an interesting genre for me. Plus it stars George Clooney. The actress Britt Robertson looks like Alia Bhatt - her expressions, dialogue delivery, behaviour everything. Have you seen her movies? Do you feel so?







A Separation  it’s an Iranian drama film that has won  Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film in 2012. It’s an intriguing film about a couple who separate and things turn weird when the husband hires a female caregiver to look after his father who suffers from  Alzheimer's disease. The film is intriguing, however the end left me a little confused. But, I liked it.

Have you watched any of these? Share your favourites.

Sharing with Chatty Blogs







10 comments:

  1. I've watched all of those except the last one - Separation. Oh and I also gave up Boy in Striped Pajamas midway. Not because I didn't like it but because it was so very sad. The book had left me feeling bereft for many days. Also, I'd strongly recommend you read The Book Thief. I also loved I am the Messenger by the same author. You'll either love it or hate it. His writing style is something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will read 'The Book Thief' (and maybe I Am The Messenger)! 'His writing style is something else.' You make me curious. :)

      Delete
  2. I am only familiar with Me Before You and The Book Thief from this list. The former I haven't read or seen - stayed away because I am worried the ending will break my heart into a million pieces. The latter - I have read the book (and loved it) but haven't seen the movie yet, or even written a review, because I happened to read it right before the political climate in America took a nosedive, and I couldn't think of this book/story without breaking into tears for the past and worrying for our present and future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am only familiar with Me Before You and The Book Thief from this list. The former I haven't read or seen - stayed away because I am worried the ending will break my heart into a million pieces. The latter - I have read the book (and loved it) but haven't seen the movie yet, or even written a review, because I happened to read it right before the political climate in America took a nosedive, and I couldn't think of this book/story without breaking into tears for the past and worrying for our present and future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, The Boy In Striped Pajamas is even more heart-breaking! Going to read The Book Thief soon.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for commenting and sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like I have a lot of movies to catch up to. I've read Me Before You and the Book Thief, latter being one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember how much I cried after I finished reading Me before you. That book is Jojo Moye's finest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
    Avengers: Endgame 2019

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work... best movies reviews

    ReplyDelete