Saturday, March 23, 2019

Author's Interview: In Conversation With Sudesna Ghosh



Sudesna Ghosh is a versatile writer who writes novellas, short stories and children's stories. She also writes non fiction. In fact her first two books are non fiction.

Interestingly, we got in touch on Twitter because of her first book 'What Would I Tell Her @ 13 {published by Harper Collins India}, as I needed some inputs for my article and she was so kind to share her insights.



Then I read her short story 'It Started With A Cup Of Coffee' and I can say that it was one of the best short stories I read in 2018. It's a sweet story, engaging and very well crafted. 

Recently, I read her latest novella 'My Small, Thin Indian Wedding'. As the name suggests, it's about a wedding ---Reema's wedding. Reema, unlike many other girls, wants a simple, quiet wedding but obviously it cannot be everyone's favourite idea. So, it's not going to be easy.

My Small, Thin Indian Wedding is a modern take on love and relationship. The theme of the story is nice. I liked the well placed humour and wit. Also, it conveys some thoughtful messages. 

Today, I am in conversation with the author!



Welcome to my blog, Sudesna. My first question is somehow common but important. Why do you write? Do you believe that writing has changed you as a person?

Thank you, Tarang. I’m an introvert and bookworm who grew up with her nose in a book. I also wrote little short stories since my school days, so I guess I always loved being immersed in the world of books.

As someone who struggles with anxiety and depression, writing has given me a vast space to let out my thoughts and feelings. In fact, I become deeply connected to my characters and find happiness in another world. 

And when I write nonfiction, I find myself becoming more and more articulate about matters that are important to me including mental health and writing. Writing has made me a better thinker. Writing gives me company.



What's your take on writer's block? How do you deal with it?

I believe writer’s block exists. It’s terrible when your mind is bombarded with ideas and you can visualise it all but your fingers just won’t move. I usually take long walks and allow myself a break from writing and go on a reading spree instead. Reading good books always acts as inspiration and then the motivation to get back to my own manuscript.

You prefer writing short pieces ---short stories or novella. What do you like about writing short stories?

Some authors have told me that they think novellas aren’t books. Also, most publishers ask for a certain big word count to make printing costs worthwhile. I find many novels too long as if the author has lost a sense of plot and is just going on and on for the sake of increasing page count. If it gets too boring, I can’t finish it. So yes, I can’t write just for the sake of filling pages.

Secondly, there are a group of readers who like reading short works that they can finish in one sitting. 

I love writing short stories and novellas because even when I speak, I like to be to the point and not waste words when not needed :)

You are an avid reader. What kinds of books you like reading. What's the best book you have read in recent times?

Yes, I love reading. I read both paperbacks and e-books on my Kindle these days. My favourite genre is women’s fiction, followed by sweet romance. It’s hard to name one favourite so I’ll name two I enjoyed recently - The Little Village Christmas by Sue Moorcroft, Late Summer in the Vineyard by Jo Thomas.

Adding these to my TBR list! 

What would be your advice to new/aspiring writers?

Read a lot and write a lot. Write from the heart and you’ll find readers who can connect with you, no matter how small that number of readers is.

Well said!



No comments:

Post a Comment