Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Book Review: Closer to Okay by Amy Watson




Book: Closer to Okay
Author: Amy Watson

Publisher: Alcove Press
Source: Netgalley


Kyle, a trained pastry chef, is battling her depression and after her fateful suicide attempt, she is living in Hope House, a mental institution, under strict rules and regulations, as she is trying to get better. The window sill of her room is her favourite corner as it overlooks a coffee shop, The Coffee Shop, located right across the street. 
Jamie and Jackson run this coffee shop. Watching them work expertly in their coffee shop brings solace. While Jamie is jovial, always smiling, Jackson dons an intense, unsmiling visage, which attracts Kyle. 


When she gets her off-site privilege, she visits the cafe and meets them in person, finally. She befriends Jamie instantly but it takes some time before Kyle and Jackson bond.


As their friendship burgeons, so many things happen in Hope House and Jackson's personal life. As much as they grow fond of each other, it's not going to be easy. 


Closer to Okay is basically a sweet and sensible love story with a backdrop of mental health. I am not a mental health expert but I felt this subject has been handled thoughtfully. 


I really like the writing style. It's engaging and helped me connect with the story and characters instantly. The story is told in the first person from Kyle's point of view. The narration is slow paced but it doesn't disrupt the flow of the story; in fact it creates a cosy ambience (and I am a very impatient reader). 


The characters are interesting, with their own important roles. Kyle is so sweet. The author has expressed her emotions, dilemma and troubles really well. I really liked Jackson. He is really nice, understanding but a little flawed at the same time. It makes him real. Both Kyle and Jackson have their own past and personal lives and the author has used it very smartly. It tells a lot about their feelings and behaviour but it's not too much to distract the reader from the main plot. 


There are several twists and turns; they aren't over the top but they are capable enough to keep the readers interested.


I liked the setting: I love the coffee shop setting (in general, I find it fascinating!). And Hope House, the mental institution, is an unusual setting. It was sad and heartbreaking at times but it has been handled well. Food description is a bonus.


Just two things bothered me:


I understand the need to tell the story from Kyle's point of view but I really felt that the story demanded Jackson's point of view once in a while. 

The ending seemed a bit abrupt. I won't say it was unsatisfying but it would have been nice if there was a short epilogue (even though I am not a fan of prologue/epilogue). 


Overall, I really liked this book. 


Thank you, Netgalley.




No comments:

Post a Comment