Sunday, July 12, 2015

Book Review: Mistress of Honour by Bhaavna Arora

Bhaavna Arora's debut novel "Deliberate Sinner" was a national bestseller. I heard a lot about it but couldn't read that. When I received a mail from Book Adorers regarding book review of Mistress of Honour, I thought to give it a shot.




Mistress of Honour (Penguin Books India) is different in it's own way. This book is basically about wars and the peacekeepers of our Nation (Interestingly, I am watching Border when I write this). The book is embellished with two love stories set in different era.

Potnis, a devoted captain in the Indian Army, falls deeply in love with Pansy, a beautiful strong woman as he meets her during Operation Blue Star. They create their own world, filled with love and longing. Years later, their lovely daughter Rihana finds love in Advik, a charmer, from a broken family, and an Indian Air Force Pilot. Their love has some complications that changes their lives completely.

The story talks about love. Love for your Country. Love for your family. Love for someone very special. And a special love for friends.

The book is inspired from real life-stories and seems very well-researched. Characters are defined very well. I liked the character of Shamsher Singh who brings smile quite often. It feels good to see two strong female characters although Indian Armed Forces, the real protagonist of the book, overpowers.

Writing is good. Clean and crisp. I really liked a few quotes like: "Being too early or too late for something means there is a chance you may never get what you want. You need to wait for the right moment."

Or : "The more you say, the more likely you are to say something wrong."

The only thing bothered me that most of the time it seems that the story is being told by the author rather than unveiling the incidents itself.

The book makes you feel proud of Indian Defence System. The end is poignant. I generally don't like prologue and Epilogue much but they are very well written, and I liked it. Overall, for me, it was a nice read! I think it would make a wonderful read for those who love war-stories, and love stories.

Although the story is intense it makes a quick read!
\


2 comments:

  1. Of course the humans of defence force also have a melting heart.Nice review.

    ReplyDelete