Thursday, January 16, 2020

Best Books I Read in 2019






So, Goodreads says that I've read 43 books in 2019. To be honest, this data is wrong. Because there are several books I didn't finish (I wrote about very popular books that I couldn't finish in 2018} but even unread books fall under read category on Goodreads even though you create a sub-category for 'did not finish', and it's unfair. Also I've read some short stories, quick 20-30 minute reads, but they are books on Goodreads.

Never mind. So, I think I've read some 35-36 books in 2019, which is okay. Here, I'm sharing the most entertaining and gripping books I read in 2019.



Image result for salvation of a saint

'Sometimes it’s as important to prove there is no answer to a question as it is to answer it.’

It's a crime fiction and it's brilliant! And clever. And unputdownable. And this is what you call intelligent storytelling. I really like Higashino's writing style. It's simple and very engaging and the way his stories progress, it keeps you hooked. This is my third book by this author. I've read The Devotion of Suspect X and Malice, but this one my most favourite so far.

Salvation of a Saint has just two suspects. It keeps you guessing for some time, however you would easily guess who's the killer very soon, but it still keeps you terribly curious because you want to know 'HOW?'. I really liked Utsumi, the female detective. 



Image result for second chance at love

'Every life has a story, some sadder than others. Every story has a hero, some braver than others.'

Romance is my favourite genre and Ruchita Misra is one of those writers whose writing/stories always {Well, almost} works for me.

It's a love story, obviously, and I enjoyed reading this book so much, liked the characters, especially Samar, so much that I finished it in less than 24 hours, in a single sitting. After a long, I mean really long time, any book was able to grip my attention like this.


Image result for the kite runner

'For you, a thousand times over!'

There is something about this quotation. It touches my heart and stirs my emotions every time I read it or even think of it.

Strangely, I wasn't really very keen to read this book. Even though it has got fabulous reviews. Not sure why. Maybe because I have read {and loved} a book called 'The Almond Tree', which is said to be inspired by this book. But then, one fine day, I watched the movie, The Kite Runner. It was so good. Poignant {You can even spot Mr. Hosseini in a scene}. And totally different from The Almond Tree. So, I decided to read the book. I believe we should definitely read the book if we love a movie {except thrillers} because books are always deeper and more beautiful.

Khaled Hosseini is brilliant when it comes to evoking the emotions of the readers, and The Kite Runner is no different {I have read A Thousand Splendid Suns and loved it}. A very emotional and such a fine read! 



Image result for chaurasi

'अफ़वाह की सबसे विनाशकारी बात यह होती है कि यह नसों में लहू की जगह नफ़रत दौड़ाती है और वह नफरत महज़ दिल तक जाती है। अफ़वाह दिमाग़ तक किसी भी संकेत के जाने के सारे रास्ते बंद कर देती है।'

It's my second book by the author. I've read Dilli Darbar and quite enjoyed it. 

Chaurasi is a love story, set against the backdrop of 84 riots. It was poignant, shocking & gripping. I liked the main protagonists {Rishi and Manu} and their chemistry and the innocence in their relationship. 

Satya Vyas is from Bihar and I relate to the 'Bihari touch' in his books.


Have you read any of these books? Share your favourite 2019 books?






No comments:

Post a Comment