Thursday, April 7, 2022

F: Favourites of 2022 (#BlogchatterA2Z)

 

This year, I decided to go slow with my reading (mainly because of my writing assignments). I am reading at my own pace, without bothering about posting a review and all that (I do write mini reviews if I like the book; avoid if I don't). I have abandoned 5 books so far (3 back to back). I really hope I like what I started recently. Also, I'm listening to my first audiobook (first full length novel, I mean). The Last Boy to Fall in Love (Hindi).


But let's talk about what I liked. 


Young Blood by Chandrima Das





'A ruined reputation is one of the most effective ways devised by society to control women.' (from the book).


I read horror after a LONG time and I'm glad I read this book. A wonderful collection of 10 terrifying tales. It wasn't terrifying for me but it was certainly creepy. 


The writing is beautiful and crisp. Stories are gripping. You would not want to miss a single paragraph. That engaging.


I recommend it to everyone. Even if you don't like this genre, read it to enjoy the author's writing and storytelling.



The Flatshare Beth O'Leary





Tiffy and Leon share a flat

Tiffy and Leon share a bed

Tiffy and Leon have never met…


This is the gist of the story. 


‘Have you ever looked forward to reading a book so much you can’t actually start it?’


I was pleasantly surprised to find this quote in the book, as this was the very reason why I didn't start reading this book even though I bought it last year.


And I'm so glad I read, finally. It's entertaining and endearing. So engrossing that it traveled with me to my kitchen. That I took a break from an important writing project as I couldn't put it down.


I'd like to mention 'Before the Dawn' by Emma Pass. It's a historical fiction. The love story of Sam & Ruby. I thought it was going to be my favourite, as it was really endearing in the first half. The second half (especially the war scenes) was not that engaging. 


Now, television:


I seldom sit down to watch TV. 

But I watched a couple of web series recently and really liked them, so much that I am eagerly waiting for the next season.


Asur





I read some fabulous reviews of this web series plus I was pleasantly surprised to see Barun Sobti. 


It's really good. Intriguing, mysterious and gripping. An interesting blend of science, psychology and mythology.


Maybe an unpopular opinion (because Arshad Warsi is there) but Barun Sobti is the hero of the show. He acts really well.



Special Ops 1.5





It's a short series, kind of bhumika before the season 2. I loved the season 1. That was an excellent spy series. 


I'd like to mention Gullak. Loved it! And so excited about the season 3 (starts from 7th). It's so pleasant, poignant and entertaining. The characters are so real. 





There's something common between these series: unlike most of the shows, these series do not have abusive language and vulgar scenes. Which is a great relief. Most web series are so loud, vulgar and abusive that they make me cringe. 


Have you read or watched any of these? Your favourite books/shows so far?



I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z






10 comments:

  1. Right now my favourite books are childrens story books in French! I am a toddler in the world of literature / langauage. But I am enjoying my visits to the local library to fetch one story book every week, with large pictures and just a handful of sentences.
    Flat Share and Young Blood now go to my TBR list. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy reading children's books, especially love the illustrations.

      Thank you. :)

      Delete
  2. Flat share sounds very unique and interesting. Thanks for the recommendation.
    -Sonia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very interesting.
      Thank you for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  3. I have heard a lot about Flat Share! Gullak is my favourite too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the recommendation, Tarang !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to watch Asur. Have been hearing about this web series a lot. But I need to subscribe na? Let's see. Thanks for the recommendations Tarang. - Swarnali (The Saffron Storyteller)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very good, so watch if you want to. Haan, Voot install karna hoga. :)

      Delete